Stay out of court and at your desk.
For years writers have had to navigate the legal issues of self-publishing and blogging without a step-by-step guide. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook is changing that.
I wrote this book to give writers the tools to:
• Business set-up. From DBAs to sales taxes to crowd-funding, Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook walks writers through the process of setting up their self-publishing ventures.
• Moving from Manuscript to Book. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook compares the options of engaging a self-publishing service company to doing-it-yourself using a print-on-demand provider. It lists which contract provisions are acceptable and which are not. It explains the mechanics of hiring designers, editors, and other freelancers.
• Intellectual Property Issues. Copyrights, trademark, fair use, and public domain are explained in practical, useful terms, including how to find copyright holders and ask permission. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook provide tips on licensing images and music for little or no money.
• Internet Regulations. Any writer with a blog needs to know about privacy policies, SPAM, COPPA, and DMCA. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook explains these regulations in easy-to-understand language.
• Spotting Scams. Writers are e-blasted by businesses promoting overpriced services, if not outright frauds. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook shows writers how to spot aggressive sales techniques and scams.
• The Scary Stuff. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook provides guidance on avoiding the dangers of defamation, invasion of privacy, and infringement.
Writing and publishing a book is a significant investment. Don’t lose that money by hiring the wrong self-publishing service company or getting sued for copyright infringement. Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook will help you safely navigate the legal minefield.
“Self-Publisher’s Legal Handbook is absolutely required reading for authors who want to publish their own work…
It should be on every self-publisher’s desk—highly recommended.”
—Joel Friedlander, www.TheBookDesigner.com