What are you doing Thursday, Feb. 11 at 1 Pacific time/4 Eastern time?
I’ve teamed up with Joel Friedlander to present a webinar on business basics for writers, particularly the nuts and bolts of setting up your self-publishing business.
And it’s free.
Among the topics we’ll discuss:
- When to form a corporation or limited liability company
- Why and how to select an imprint name
- What business permits and licenses every business needs
- Whether to set up separate bank, PayPal and other business accounts
- Must-know triggers for tax reporting and payments
- Some guidelines for growing your business beyond the book
There are many reasons for treating your writing as a business, especially if you are self-publishing.
- You’ll have more time for writing. You’ll save yourself hours of frustration digging through piles trying to find information.
- You’ll be ready for success. As your sales increase, you will be prepared to measure and manage that growth.
- You’ll avoid losses. If you have a better handle on cash flow, you’ll know when your expenses are getting too far ahead of your income.
- You’ll know what works. If you have a method of tracking sales, you’ll know which marketing efforts paid off and which were a bust.
- You’ll avoid mistakes, like forgetting to collect and pay sales tax or to deliver 1099s to freelancers.
- You’ll save on taxes. If you operate your writing venture as a business, you are more likely to be able to deduct writing expenses from your non-writing income and reduce your tax bill.
- You’ll feel more legit. If you don’t treat your writing as a legitimate business, then no one else will, particularly the IRS.
- Your heirs will thank you. If you are hit by the proverbial bus, your heirs will appreciate your organization.
When: Thursday, February 11, 2016 at 1:00 p.m. Pacific (4:00 p.m. Eastern)
Register Here: “Why Authors Who Want to Self-Publish Need a Business Hat”
At the end of the webinar, we’ll introduce Publishing Business in a Box to help you set yourself up as a self-publisher.
I hope you can join us.